Category Class Recipes
*To make fortunes, cut paper into strips as directed above. Write words of wisdom on each strip in ink or permanent marker. Do not use pencil. Make sure ink has dried before adding to the cookie. For best results, type on the computer and cut out as directed above.
Equipment needed: Measuring cups and spoons, Mixer, Large mixing bowl, Spatula, Muffin tin, Cookie sheet, Cooking spray, 3” Mason jar ring, center, removed.
- 2 egg whites
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 4 Tbsp. butter, melted and cooled
- ½ cup flour
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. almond extract
- ½ tsp. lemon extract
- 6-2 ½ X ½ inch fortune strips, you supply the fortunes*
- Melt 4 Tbsp. of butter in microwave about 30 seconds. Set aside so butter can cool.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat cookie sheet with cooking spray.
- Using a mixer, whip egg whites on low speed until light and foamy.
- Blend in sugar and continue to beat until soft peaks form.
- Pour in cooled melted butter, flour, salt, and extracts. Mix until well combined.
- For a template, use a 3 inch Mason jar lid with the center removed. On a cookie sheet, pour 1 Tbsp. of the batter in the jar ring. Spread batter evenly into the round and remove the ring. Because you must work quickly to shape these cookies, only bake 3 at a time.
- Bake cookies 5-8 minutes or until the edges are a light golden color.
- Remove the cookies with a spatula and place on a cool flat surface. Lay a fortune strip in the lower middle of the cookie. Carefully, fold the cookie in half to make a semi-circle. Reminder: Cookies will be hot; use gloves to protect hands. Bend the edges up toward each other to make a crescent.
- Cool in a muffin tin to hold the shape until crisp. Repeat with remaining batter.