- 6 cups flour
- 3 tsp. baking powder
- 2 cups butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla or almond extract
- 1 tsp. salt
- In large bowl cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla. Mix well.
- In another bowl, measure out the dry ingredients and combine with a whisk.
- Add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture a little at a time until the flour is completely incorporated and the dough comes together.
- Divide dough into 4 parts and shape into discs. Chill for 1 to 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Roll dough to desired thickness and cut into desired shapes.****
- Place on ungreased baking sheet. Bake for 8 to 14 minutes (depending in the size of the cookie) or until just beginning to turn brown around the edges.
Equipment needed: 2 large mixing bowls, Measuring cups and spoons, Electric mixer, Whisk, Rubber spatula, Plastic wrap, Rolling pin, Pancake turner, Baking sheets (without edges if, inserting sticks into cookies).
****If making these for a cookie bouquet, the dough should be about ½ inch thick, requiring a longer baking time. Arrange the cookies on the baking sheet so the bottom of each is toward the outside. This will make it easier to place the stick. Upon removing the cookies from the oven, insert a stick immediately. As the cookies cool, they will contract just a bit and hold onto the stick. Leave the cookies on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack. After the cookies cool, you can add a dab of Royal Icing where the stick enters the cookie to further secure it on the stick.