- 1.5 cups uncooked long grain white rice
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup thinly slivered red or yellow bell pepper
- 1 cup thinly sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup thinly sliced zucchini
- 1 cup thinly sliced onion
- 1 can (2 ¼ oz) sliced ripe black olives, drained
- ¾ cup tomato sauce with Italian herbs
- 1.5 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and Pepper as needed
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Prepare onlong pan with cooking spray and set aside.
In a saucepan, combine rice and 2 ¾ cups of water. Bring to boil over high heat and cook until most of the water is absorbed, 7-10 minutes. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until rice is tender to bite, 10-15 minutes longer. Spoon the rice into a large bowl. Cool about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally with a fork.
In a small bowl, beat eggs to blend. Add eggs and cheddar cheese to rice and mix well.
Spoon the rice mixture into the prepared pan and pat into an even layer. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until rice begins to brown around the edges.
Meanwhile, in the sauté pan over high heat, sauté bell pepper, mushrooms, zucchini and onion in olive oil until mushrooms begin to brown about 3-5 minutes. Stir in olives and remove from heat.
Spread tomato sauce evenly over baked rice. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Spoon vegetable mixture over the crust and top with parmesan cheese.
Return to oven and bake until cheese begins to brown 8-10 minutes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.