Warm Chocolate Lava Cake
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter, plus some for buttering the molds
- 4 squares (4 ounces) bittersweet chocolate
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons flour, plus more for dusting
- In the top of a double boiler set over simmering water, heat the butter and chocolate together until the chocolate is almost completely melted. While that’s heating, beat together the eggs, yolks, and sugar with a whisk or or electric beater until light and thick.
- Beat together the melted chocolate and butter; it should be quite warm, pour in the egg mixture, then quickly beat in the flour, just until combined.
- Butter and lightly flour 4 ounce molds, custard cups, or ramekins. Tap out the excess flour, then butter and flour them again. Divine the batter among the molds. (At this point you can refrigerate the desserts until you are ready to eat, for up to several hours; bring them back to room temperature before baking.)
- Preheat the oven to 450 F. Bake the molds on a tray for 6 to 7 minutes; the center will be quite soft, but the sides will be set.
- Let sit for 4 minutes then un-mold and serve warm.