- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup flour
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 8 oz. grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 3 egg yolks
- 6-8 sliced mushrooms
- 2 Tbsp. diced red bell peppers
- ½ cup diced broccoli
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 6 egg whites
- Confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- To make roux: Melt butter, then blend in flour, salt, and cayenne pepper. Add milk all at once. Cook over medium heat until mixture thickens and bubbles. Remove from heat. Add cheese, and stir until melted.
- Beat egg yolks in a separate bowl until thick and lemon colored. Slowly add to cheese mixture, stirring constantly. Reserve, cover, and keep warm.
- Sauté mushrooms, red peppers, and broccoli in olive oil and set aside.
- Beat egg whites to stiff peaks.
- In a mixing bowl, add 2 cups roux to vegetables and fold in egg whites.
- Pour into an un-greased soufflé dish.
- Bake in a hot water bath for 15-20 minutes or until “top hat” is slightly brown.
- Dust with confectioners’ sugar and serve immediately.
Equipment needed: Measuring cups and spoons, Saucepan w/lid, Bowls, Whisk, Grater, Knife, Sauté pan, Rubber spatula, Soufflé dish, Baking pan (9x13 in.), Hand-held strainer and spoon.