This crumb topping can be used on many recipes because it is so versatile. With a little customizing of this recipe, you can make a topping for any fruit crisp. Double or even triple the recipe and keep the extra topping in the freezer; that way, you can make a crisp on the spur of the moment.
- 1 cup (5 ounces) all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup (5 1/4 ounces) granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup packed (1⅞ ounces) light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 cup (4 ounces) cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- Combine the flour, sugars, salt, and butter in the bowl of a food processor or a stand mixer with the paddle attachment. If using a food processor, pulse until the mixture is the texture of coarse crumbs. With a stand mixer, combine on low speed, also until the texture of coarse crumbs. Drizzle the vanilla over the mixture and either pulse or mix briefly to distribute the vanilla.