Turkey and Pinto Bean Chili
- Nonstick olive oil spray
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 medium-size red bell peppers, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 pounds ground turkey
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 3 15-ounce cans pinto beans, drained
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes in juice
- 3 cups canned low-salt chicken broth
- 1 ounce semisweet chocolate, chopped
- Generously spray bottom of heavy large pot with nonstick spray. Add onion, bell peppers and garlic and sauté over high heat until vegetables begin to soften, about 8 minutes.
- Add turkey and sauté until no longer pink, breaking up large pieces with back of fork, about 5 minutes.
- Mix in chili powder, cumin and oregano and stir 1 minute.
- Add beans, tomatoes with juices, broth and chocolate. Bring chili to boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer uncovered until chili thickens, stirring occasionally, about 1 hour.
- Season with salt and pepper.