- 1 cup water
- ½ cup butter
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 eggs
- 2 Tbsp. milk
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup confectioners’ sugar, plus more for dusting
- ½ tsp. vanilla
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Prepare baking sheets with cooking spray.
- In a large saucepan, bring the water, butter, and salt to a boil over medium heat. Add flour all at once and stir until a smooth ball forms. Remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Continue beating until mixture is smooth and shiny.
- Using a ¼ cup measuring cup, drop 3 inches apart onto prepared baking sheets. Combine the milk and egg yolk to make a wash; brush over each unbaked puff. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks. Immediately cut a slit in each for steam to escape; cool.
- In a large bowl, beat heavy whipping cream until it begins to thicken. Add sugar and vanilla. Beat until almost stiff. Refrigerate until serving.
- Split cream puffs and discard the soft dough from inside each. Fill the cream puffs with the cream just before serving. Garnish with a dusting of confectioners’ sugar. Refrigerate any leftovers.
Equipment needed: Measuring cups and spoons Large saucepan, Wooden spoon, Electric mixer, Baking sheets, Nonstick cooking spray Small bowl, Whisk, Pastry brush, Large bowl, Knife, Mesh sieve and spoon.