- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 pkg. (¼ oz.) quick-rise yeast
- 1 ½ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. dried minced onion
- ½ tsp. chili powder
- ¼ tsp. cumin
- ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 ½ cups warm water
- 1 egg, beaten
- Coarse salt
- Salsa or queso dip* for serving
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare baking sheet with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together 2 cups flour, sugar, yeast, salt, minced onion, and spices. Add water. Beat just until moistened. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 4-6 minutes. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Divide dough into 16 equal portions; roll each into a 15 in. rope. Cover and let rest 10 minutes more.
- Twist into pretzel shapes. Place on greased baking sheets. Brush with egg. Bake for 15 minutes. Brush again with egg and sprinkle with coarse salt. Bake 10-13 minutes longer or until golden brown.
*Make an easy queso dip by combining 1 pound of pasteurized cheese product (similar to Velveeta®), cut into 1 inch cubes, with 1 cup of your favorite chunky salsa. Zap in the microwave on HIGH for 5 minutes, stirring after 3 minutes. Makes 2½ cups.
You can also vary these pretzels by changing the seasonings. Try Italian herbs/seasonings and use marinara as your dipper or fresh garden herbs using ranch dressing as a dip.
Equipment needed: Measuring cups and spoons Large bowl, Whisk, Electric mixer, Wooden spoon, Knife or pastry bench Baking sheets, Nonstick cooking spray Pastry brush.