- 1/4 cup Butter
- 5 cups Onions, peeled, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp All purpose flour
- 3/4 cup White wine
- 1 1/4 quarts Beef stock
- 1 Bouquet garni (recipe follows)
- 8 Sliced French baguette
- 1/2 cup Gruyere cheese, grated
- 2 Leek, green parts only, 4 inch pieces
- 1 Bay leaf
- 3 Fresh sprigs thyme
- 4 Large fresh sprigs parsley
- 1 Celery stalk
- To prepare bouquet garni, lay herbs on one piece of leek green and cover with remaining piece of leek. Tie securely with kitchen string, leaving a length of string attached so the bouquet garni can be easily retrieved.
- Heat butter over medium heat. Add onions and cook until tender and golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Add the flour and cook 2 minutes, stirring.
- Add wine, bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 2 minutes. Gradually add the stock. Add bouquet garni and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer; cover and cook 30 minutes.
- To serve, add two slices of bread to each soup bowl and sprinkle with cheese. Pour the boiling soup over the bread and cheese. Or toast the bread slices and float on top of the soup and sprinkle with cheese. Broil unit the cheese melts.