“Sealed with a Kiss” Muffins
- 6 Tbsp. butter
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup milk
- 14 strawberries, fresh or frozen (defrosted)
- Food coloring, optional
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- Hershey’s Kisses, Hugs or strawberry jam
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar. You can use a wooden spoon, a potato masher or handheld electric mixer. Mix in the eggs, one at a time, and add the milk.
- Rinse the strawberries and cut off the green stem. Mash the berries with a potato masher or puree in a blender. Then stir the berries into the butter and milk mixture. TIP: For muffins with a more pink color, add a few drops of red liquid food coloring.
- In a separate bowl, sift the flour, salt and baking powder. Stir well. Add the flour mixture to the berry mixture. Use a wooden spoon to stir until all the white disappears.
- Line the muffin tin with paper liners. Drop the batter from a tablespoon to fill the cups halfway.
- Add a surprise: an unwrapped Kiss, Hug or ½ teaspoon of jam. Then spoon more batter to fill almost to the top.
- Bake until the muffins begin to brown and a toothpick inserted near the center (but not in the Kiss) comes out clean, about 20-25 minutes.
- Remove the muffins from the tin and cool.
Equipment needed: Measuring cups and spoons, Mixer, Mixing bowls, Potato masher, Muffin tins and liners, Wooden spoon.