- 2 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 1 small red onion, unpeeled and cut in half horizontally
- 1½ pounds Roma tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- ½ Tbsp. olive oil
- ½ Tbsp. tomato paste
- ½ tsp. sugar
- ½ tsp. fresh oregano leaves
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. black pepper
- Preheat broiler. Adjust shelf to lower oven rack.
- Place garlic and onion, skin sides up, on jelly roll pan. Broil 30 minutes.
- Remove stem core from tomatoes and slice in half. Add tomatoes to pan, skin side up. Broil 30 minutes or until blackened. Cool 5 minutes.
- Remove skins from garlic, onion, and tomatoes; discard skins.
- Place garlic, onion, and tomatoes in a food processor. Add vinegar, olive oil, tomato paste, sugar, oregano leaves, salt, and pepper. Process until smooth.
By leaving the skins on the tomatoes and broiling them on the lower rack, their surfaces gradually blacken while the insides develop a deep caramelized flavor. This sauce will keep in the refrigerator for up to one week, or in the freezer for up to a month.
Measuring cups & spoons, Knife, Jelly roll pan and a Food processor.