Real Strawberry Frosting
- 1 cup fresh strawberries
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted, divided
- Place strawberries in a blender; puree until smooth.
- Transfer strawberry puree to a saucepan over medium heat; bring to a boil, stirring often, until puree is reduced by at least half, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and cool completely.
- Beat butter with an electric mixer in a bowl until light and fluffy.
- Beat 1 cup confectioners' sugar into butter until just blended.
- Beat 2 tablespoons strawberry puree and vanilla extract into butter mixture until just blended.
- Repeat with 1 cup confectioners' sugar, followed by 2 tablespoons strawberry puree two more times.
- Beat last 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar into mixture until just blended.