Julia Child’s signature recipe, Boeuf Bourguigonon, was served with Champignons Sautes su Beurre and Oignons Glaces a Brun (sautéed mushrooms and onions). You will find all of these elements in this simple version of her famous recipe.
- 1 cup peeled baby carrots
- 10 oz. top sirloin steak, cut into 1 in. pieces
- 2 Tbsp. butter, divided
- 6 oz. fresh shitake mushrooms, stemmed, sliced 2 large shallots, sliced
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh thyme (or 2 tsp. dried thyme), divided
- 1 cup grape juice
- 1-2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 cup canned beef broth
- Egg noodles (2 servings), cooked
- Cook carrots in small saucepan of boiling salted water until tender, about 8 minutes. Drain well.
- Meanwhile, sprinkle beef with salt and pepper. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in the large skillet over medium-high heat. Add beef and sauté until brown on all sides but still pink in center, about 2 minutes. Transfer beef to plate.
- Melt remaining butter in same skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and shallots. Sauté until vegetables soften, about 5 minutes. Mix in 1½ tablespoons of the fresh thyme.
- Add grape juice, red wine vinegar, and broth to skillet. Increase heat and boil until sauce is reduced to ½ cup, scraping up brown bits, about 8 minutes.
- Return beef and any juices to skillet. Add carrots. Cook until flavors blend, about 1 minute. Season stew to taste with salt and pepper.
- Plate the egg noodles. Divide stew between plates. Sprinkle with remaining ½ tablespoon of thyme.
Equipment needed: Measuring cups and spoons Peeler; Small saucepan; Heavy large skillet; Tongs; Wooden spoon; Knife.