Nut-free French Macarons
- 4 egg whites
- 1/3 cup caster sugar
- 8 oz. finely grated white chocolate
- 1 cup icing sugar sifted
- Whisk together egg whites and sugar until stiff, add color if desired and whisk through. Egg whites should be stiff enough that you can turn your bowl upside down and it will not spill out of the bowl.
- Gently fold in your icing sugar and white chocolate.
- Once it is combined continue to fold some more until some mixture dropped into the bowl very slowly melds down into the rest of the mixture. You do not want a runny mixture or your macaron will be flat.
- Pour the mixture into a piping bag or ziploc bag with the corner cut off. Continue piping circles onto non-stick baking paper.
- Bake at 300 degrees Fahrenheit for approximately 20 minutes. Bake on the top shelf for 15 and then move down for the last 5 – 10 as needed.
- Leave to cool on the paper and then carefully peel off. Pair similarly sized macrons and fill with ganache.
Add with macaron filling (see recipes for chocolate ganache and raspberry buttercream).