No Guilt Shepherd’s Pie
From Tracey Doty's Kitchen
- 13/4 lb. baking potatoes
- 4 garlic cloves or 1 Tbsp of minced garlic
- 1 tsp of dried oregano
- 11/2 C beef gravy (see below)
- 3/4 C chopped carrots
- 3/4 C chopped green beans or peas
- 1 onion chopped
- 2/3 C 1% milk
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 Tbsp of butter
- 1 tsp salt
- pinch pepper
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- ½ sliced onion
- 3 Tbsp. flour
- 1 cup beef stock
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ⅛ tsp. pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray 2 quart baking dish.
- To make the topping bring potatoes to a boil. Cook until they are tender. Drain the water and add the butter, milk, salt and pepper. Mash them to the consistency of your choosing.
- For the filling...fry the ground beef and add the garlic, onions, carrots, green beans and sauté together. When the meat is all cooked add the ingredients from the frying pan to the baking dish.
- In a separate sauce pan make 1 1/2 C of beef gravy according to the package or recipe below and pour over the beef mixture, then add the mashed potatoes to the top and bake 20 minutes. Gravy recipe below.
- For Gravy: In a cast-iron skillet, cook the onion slices in butter until slightly browned. Remove the onions, reserving the fat in the pan.
- Add flour, salt, and pepper. Stir until brown.
- Add stock gradually and bring to a boil. Add the onions.
- Simmer for 10 minutes.