Mary Ellen’s Delicious Sugar Cookies
- 5 cups flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Mix flour, baking soda, and salt together and set aside.
- Beat remaining ingredients together until light and fluffy, and then add dry ingredients, stirring well.
- Divide into 4 discs and wrap in plastic wrap. Chill dough several hours in refrigerator or quick chill in freezer for 30 minutes.
- Roll out small amounts at a time on a lightly floured board and cut with cookie cutter.
- Place on un-greased cookie sheet and bake for 10 minutes. Makes about 6 dozen cookies, using a 3-4 in. cutter. Great for the star tree! Makes 8 of the Star Trees using 2 stars of each size.
Equipment needed: Measuring cups and spoons, 2 mixing bowls, Electric mixer, Cutting board, Rolling pin, Cookie cutters, Baking sheet.