Lemon Chiffon Pie with Phyllo Crust or Corn Flake Crust
- 4 eggs, separated (may want to use powdered egg whites)
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- ½ cup fresh lemon juice (6-8 lemons)
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- ¼ cup cold water
- 1 tsp. lemon zest
- Whipping cream to garnish
Lemon Chiffon Pie:
TWO CRUST OPTIONS:
- 4 (or more) phyllo dough sheets
- 3 Tbsp. of sugar and cinnamon mixture
- Butter, melted (for brushing)
- 3 cups cornflakes
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
Corn Flake Crust:
- LEMON CHIFFON PIE: In a heat-proof bowl, combine ½ cup sugar, lemon juice, and salt. In small bowl, beat the egg yolks and add to the lemon mixture; combine thoroughly. Place the egg-sugar-lemon juice over a saucepan of boiling water. Cook until it thickens to a custard-like consistency; stirring constantly.
- Meanwhile, in a separate bowl, combine the gelatin and cold water; set aside. When the egg-sugar-lemon juice mixture has thickened, add the gelatin. Stir to combine. Add lemon zest. Allow to cool.
- Beat egg whites in a clean bowl, gradually adding ½ cup sugar. Beat until stiff.
- When the filling has cooled and is thick, but not firm, fold in egg whites to fully combine. Pour into a pie crust and cool until firm in the refrigerator.
- Top with whipping cream and serve. Makes 8 servings.
- PHYLLO CRUSTS: These can be used to make individual servings. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Select muffin tin and lightly spray with cooking spray. Prepare your sugar/cinnamon mixture to your taste. Place one sheet of phyllo dough on a clean work surface and brush with butter. Sprinkle with the cinnamon mixture. Repeat with 3 more layers (you’ll have 4 layers total). Cutting through all 4 layers, cut the phyllo dough into squares to fit into a muffin pan. Press the phyllo down into the cups, fanning the excess dough onto the top surface of the muffin pan. Bake for 7-9 minutes until golden brown. Cool completely in the pan before removing. Fill with a no-bake pie filling.
- CORN FLAKE CRUST: Crush the cornflakes in zipper baggie using a rolling pin. Mix all the ingredients and press into a 9 inch pie pan. Chill before filling. Fill with a no-bake pie filling.