- 2 pkg. (¼ oz. ea.) rapid-rise dry yeast
- 2 cups warm water (110 to 115 degrees), divided
- 4 Tbsp. sugar, divided
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 2 tsp. salt
- 6 to 6½ cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 egg white
- 2 tsp. cold water
- Poppy and/or sesame seeds
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in ½ cup warm water. Add 1 tablespoon sugar; let stand for 5 minutes. Add the oil, salt, remaining warm water and sugar and 4 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 16 pieces. Shape each into a ball. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Beat egg white and cold water; brush over rolls. Sprinkle with poppy and/or sesame seeds. Using scissors, cut a cross on tops of rolls, ¼ in. deep.
- Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
Equipment you will need:
Measuring cups and spoons, Electric mixer with dough hook, Large bowl, Clean towel, Baking sheets, Non-stick cooking spray, Pastry brush and Scissors.