- 2½ cups flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup oil
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup sour cream
- 16 oz. whole milk ricotta cheese
- ¾ cup confectioners’ sugar
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- 12 cup mini semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ cup mini semisweet chips for garnish
- Vanilla Cupcakes: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Prepare muffin tins with liners.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl fitted with a whisk attachment, beat the eggs and sugar until light in color and fluffy. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add the oil and vanilla. Mix until incorporated. Add the sour cream; mix. Add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture, and mix until just blended.
- Fill the cupcake liners ¾ full with batter and bake 18-22 minutes, until baked through and golden. Cool completely.
- Cannoli Cream: In a mixing bowl fitted with a whisk attachment, beat the ricotta, confectioners’ sugar, and vanilla on medium speed for about 5 minutes. Stir in mini chips.
- Whipped Cream: Beat the cream and sugar together in a mixing bowl fitted with a whisk attachment until soft peaks form.
- To assemble: Using a small knife, cut on an angle directly into the top of the cupcake in a circular pattern, staying within the perimeter of the top, removing the inside of the cupcake in one piece (should be a cone-shaped piece). Using a spoon, fill the inside of the cupcake with the cannoli cream. Replace the top of the cupcake, putting a little pressure so that the top is pressed into the cream, holding it in place. Top with a dollop of fresh whipped cream and garnish with mini chips.
Equipment needed: Measuring cups and spoons, Muffin pans and 24 paper liners, Bowl, Whisk, Stand mixer with mixing bowl and whisk attachment, Rubber spatula, Small knife, Spoon.