- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ½ cup raisins (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Sift the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a large bowl. Cut in the butter with 2 knives (or a pastry blender) until crumbly.
- Stir in the buttermilk and raisins with a wooden spoon to make a dough.
- Knead for 1 minute on a lightly floured surface.
- Shape and pat into a 6-inch circle. Cut a cross ½ inch deep in the top.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until golden brown. Rub the hot bread with additional butter.
Equipment you will need: 2 cups all-purpose flour, 2 Tbsp. sugar, 1 tsp. baking powder, 1 tsp. baking soda, ½ tsp. salt, 3 Tbsp. butter, 1 cup buttermilk, ½ cup raisins (optional), Large bowl, Measuring cups and spoons, Pastry blender or 2 table, knives, Wooden spoon and a Baking sheet.
Soda Bannock is an authentic Irish recipe. It is the same as Irish Soda Bread, but the raisins are not optional. Soda Bannock will always have dried fruit in it.