Homemade Chewy Flour Tortillas
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. vegetable oil
- ¾ cup lukewarm milk
- Stir together the flour and baking powder in a large mixing bowl. Add the salt and vegetable oil to the lukewarm milk and whisk briefly to mix. Gradually add the milk to the flour and work the mixture into a dough. It will be sticky.
- Turn the dough out onto a surface dusted with flour and knead well for about 2 minutes. The kneading will take care of the stickiness. Return the dough to the bowl, cover with a damp cloth, and let it rest for 15 minutes. (This dough will NOT rise, but it needs a little rest!)
- Divide your dough into 8 balls of equal size, cover them, and let them rest again for about 20 minutes. Avoid letting them touch, you don’t want them to stick together.
- Dust your work surface with flour, but try to use as little as possible. Working one at a time, remove each piece of dough and pat it into a 5 inch circle. With a rolling pin, roll out the tortilla, working from the center out, until you have a 7 or 8 inch tortilla a little less than ¼ inch thick.
- Place the tortilla on a hot, dry skillet or griddle. It will begin to blister. Let it cook for 30 seconds, turn it, and let the other side cook for 30 seconds. Remove the tortilla, place it in a napkin-lined basket and cover with aluminum foil. Repeat for the remaining tortillas.
Equipment needed: Measuring cups and spoons, Large mixing bowl, Griddle, Rolling pin, Damp cloth.