Five-Spice Tea Cake
- ⅛ tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¾ cup flour
- ¾ tsp. Chinese five-spice powder
- ⅛ tsp. ground ginger
- ¼ cup cooled, very strong jasmine
- tea (use 1 tea bag)
- ½ cup applesauce
- 1 egg
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- Preheat oven 325 degrees. Spray loaf pans with cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the first 6 ingredients.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine tea and applesauce.
- In the mixer, mix egg and sugar until light and fluffy. With the mixer on medium speed add the oil and mix. Add 1/3 of dry mixture and 1/3 of tea/applesauce mixture and mix. Repeat this process twice more until all ingredients are combined. The batter will be somewhat thin.
- Pour into prepared pans and bake for 35 minutes. Bake until firm to the touch. Check for doneness with a toothpick.
- Place on wire rack and allow to cool for 30 minutes. Turn cake out onto wire rack.
Equipment needed: Mixing bowl, Measuring cups and spoons, 2 mini-loaf pans, Whisk, Cooking spray, Mixer.