Faux Foie Gras
- ½ cup unsalted butter, slightly softened, divided
- 1 thinly sliced onion
- 3½ Tbsp. capers, rinsed
- ½ cup white grape juice
- 2 cans (15 oz each) chickpeas, drained
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- Toasted bread for serving
- Melt 4 tablespoons of the butter in a medium sauté pan over medium-low heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until well caramelized, about 20–30 minutes.
- Add capers and white grape juice, and stir to loosen the browned bits on the bottom of the pan. Continue to cook until the liquid has reduced by half, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat and allow mixture to cool completely.
- Transfer to a food processor and add chickpeas and olive oil. Puree into a paste. Add remaining 4 tablespoons of butter and puree until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Mound puree in a serving bowl and chill for at least 2 hours. Serve with toasted bread.
Equipment needed: Measuring cups and spoons Medium sauté pan; Knife; Wooden spoon; Food processor; Serving bowl.