This smoky and rich sauce takes just about ten minutes to make, and adds unbeatable deep flavor to just about any savory dish. Try serving it over roast pork or grilled chicken or using it as enchilada sauce.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup sliced yellow onion (from 1 onion)
- 1 (28-oz.) can plum tomatoes, well drained
- 2 tablespoons all-natural unsweetened cocoa
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chile powder
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high. Add onion, and cook, stirring often, until onions soften and begin to brown, about 7 minutes. Add tomatoes, cocoa, salt, and chile powder, and cook, stirring to break tomatoes apart, until mixture comes to a simmer, about 4 minutes.
- Transfer mixture to a blender. Remove center piece of blender lid; secure lid on blender, and place a clean towel over opening in lid. Process until smooth.