Doughless Pot Stickers
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar (not seasoned)
- 1 tablespoon toasted-sesame oil
- 3 small Thai chiles, 2 thinly sliced and 1 finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 large garlic clove, finely grated
- 2 large scallions, 1 finely chopped and 1 thinly sliced on the bias
- 1 pound ground turkey (92 percent lean)
- 6 ounces mushrooms, stemmed and cleaned, caps thinly sliced
- 24 Boston lettuce leaves (from 2 heads; large leaves halved)
- Stir together 3 tablespoons soy sauce, 3 tablespoons water, vinegar, 1 teaspoon sesame oil, and sliced chiles in a small bowl.
- Heat broiler. Mix together 1 1/2 teaspoons soy sauce, the ginger, garlic, and the chopped scallion and chile in a medium bowl. Mix in turkey until just combined.
- Form mixture into 24 balls, dipping hands in water if needed to prevent sticking. Brush meatballs with 1 teaspoon sesame oil on a baking sheet. Broil 8 inches from heat source until golden brown and cooked through, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining teaspoon sesame oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook mushrooms until just starting to brown, about 2 minutes. Reduce heat to medium. Cook, covered, until tender, about 3 minutes more. Add remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons soy sauce. Toss to coat.
- Arrange lettuce leaves on a platter, and top each with 1 meatball. Top with mushrooms, and sprinkle with sliced scallion.
- Serve with dipping sauce.