- 2 boxes lasagna noodles, no-boil and flat
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 pound ground beef
1. In a medium sauté pan, sauté onion and garlic until soft. Add the beef and season with salt, pepper, red pepper flakes and Italian seasoning. When the beef/sausage is fully cooked, and broken up into small pieces, add the tomato paste. Sauté until combined. Set aside.
2. In a medium mixing bowl, add the ricotta, shredded mozzarella and chopped basil. Mix to combine.
3. In a large mixing bowl, steep lasagna noodles in hot water, covered with plastic wrap for 10 minutes.
4. To assemble: Overlap 2 lasagna noodles on a work surface to create 1 long noodle. Drop a teaspoon of the meat mixture in the bottom right corner. Grabbing the bottom right corner of the noodle, fold up and to the left to create a triangle. Directly above the triangle you just created, drop a teaspoon of the ricotta mixture. Fold the first triangle up over the ricotta. Drop a teaspoon of the meat mixture, next to this triangle, and fold over once again. Drop a teaspoon of the meat mixture above this triangle, and fold up. Fold the final bit of noodle into itself to seal the pocket. Continue until all your noodles are stuffed.
5. Bread the lasagna pockets in a three-part breading set up (flour, egg and Italian bread crumbs). Deep fry at 350 degrees for 2 to 4 minutes, or until golden brown. Garnish with chopped parsley, and serve with marinara.