- 16 cups popcorn* (fresh popped popcorn works best)
- 1⁄4 cup light corn syrup
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 tsp. baking soda
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 4 cups semisweet chocolate baking chips
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Prepare baking sheets with cooking spray.
- Combine corn syrup, butter and brown sugar in saucepan; simmer over medium low heat to syrup consistency. Bring to a slow boil for 5 minutes without stirring.
- Remove from heat; stir in baking soda, salt, and vanilla.
- Pour over popcorn and toss to evenly coat.
- Transfer to baking sheets and bake uncovered for 1 hour; stirring several times during baking.
- Transfer caramel corn to large bowl and cool; breaking up clumps.
- To make chocolate covered popcorn: Reserve 8 cups caramel corn (1⁄2 batch).
- Working in 4 batches, portion 1 cup chocolate chips into microwaveable measuring cup. Microwave for 60 seconds, stir, microwave an additional 20 seconds and stir until chocolate is smooth and melted.
- Combine melted chocolate with 2 cups caramel corn and stir to evenly coat; using tongs, transfer chocolate covered popcorn pieces to baking sheet lined with wax paper and cool.
- Repeat Steps 8 and 9 with remaining chocolate chips and 6 cups of caramel popcorn.
- Cool until chocolate has hardened. Combine the 8 cups of cooled chocolate caramel popcorn with the remaining 8 cups of plain caramel popcorn. Store in airtight containers.
*For fresh popcorn, combine 3 Tbsp. canola oil and 1⁄2 cup popcorn kernels in a large pot with a lid. Heat on HIGH at the stovetop until popping slows (3 seconds between pops). Remove from heat. Makes 4 quarts or 16 cups.
Equipment needed: Measuring cups and spoons Large bowls, Saucepan, Spoons, Baking sheets with rimmed sides Cooking spray, Microwave-safe measuring cup Tongs, Wax paper.