Crepes with Chicken, Bechamel & Roasted Tomato Sauce
- 1 egg
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ cup water
- 1½ tsp. unsalted butter, melted
- ½ cup flour
- Dash of kosher salt
- 2½ Tbsp. butter
- ⅛ cup flour
- 1½ cups milk
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
- 4-5 cloves garlic
- 4 Roma tomatoes, cored and quartered
- 1½ tsp. oil
Roasted Tomato Sauce:
- 5-10 Cremini mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- ½ medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 roasted chicken breast, shredded
- Freshly ground pepper
- For the Crepes: Whisk all the ingredients together until thoroughly combined. Let batter rest for 30 minutes. Heat an 8 inch non-stick pan over medium heat. Using a measuring cup or ladle, pour ¼ cup of batter into the center of the pan, rotating immediately to allow the batter to cover the surface of the pan. Cook for about 1 minute, flip, and cook for another 30 seconds. Transfer to a cutting board to cool. Repeat until all the batter is used up. Makes 4-6 crepes.
- For the Béchamel Sauce: Melt butter in a medium saucepan. Add flour and whisk until smooth. Continue cooking, whisking until golden brown, about 6 minutes. Meanwhile, heat milk in saucepan until just about to boil. Add the milk to butter and flour mixture in 3 parts, whisking continuously until very smooth. Bring to a boil and continue cooking for 30 seconds. Remove from the heat and stir in salt and nutmeg.
- For the Roasted Tomato Sauce: Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Heat a cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat and add garlic cloves and tomatoes, cut side down. Cook until tomatoes are browned; turn tomatoes to other cut side and transfer the skillet to the oven. Roast the garlic and tomatoes until tender, about 12 minutes. Transfer garlic, tomatoes, and 1½ teaspoons oil to a food processor; puree until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- For Chicken Filling: Sauté onions in a cast-iron skillet over medium heat until tender. Add mushrooms, and continue cooking until cooked through. At the last minute, add the shredded chicken and sauté just until heated through. Add freshly ground pepper.
- Spread a tablespoon of the béchamel sauce over a cooked crepe. Add a spoonful of the filling. Roll tightly. Repeat until all the crepes are filled. Spoon roasted tomato sauce over the top and serve.