Cream Cheese and Apple Sauce Bread
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup quick rolled oats
- ¼ cup plus 2 Tbsp. firmly packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1¼ tsp. cinnamon
- ½ tsp. nutmeg
- 1½ tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ¾ tsp. salt
- 1¼ cups unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup whipping cream
- ½ cup cream cheese
- 2 Tbsp. of lightly beaten egg
- 1½ tsp. honey
- ½ tsp. vanilla
- 8 tsp. confectioners’ sugar
- 1½ tsp. flour
- 2 Tbsp. chopped pecans
- 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
- ¼ tsp. cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Dough: In a large bowl combine flour, oatmeal, brown sugar, granulated sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix with a whisk until the mixture is well blended; set aside.
- In a separate bowl combine the applesauce, milk, oil, and eggs. Mix with a whisk until well blended; set aside until you make the filling.
- Filling: In another bowl combine the cream cheese, egg, honey, and vanilla; mix together. Add the confectioners’ sugar and flour. Mix with an electric mixer until the cream cheese becomes smooth; set aside.
- Now go back to the bowls for the dough and pour the liquid mixture into the flour mixture. Stir with a wooden spoon until blended. Pour half of the mixture into a prepared loaf pan. Pour the cream cheese filling into the pan and spread over the dough. Now pour the rest of the dough over the top and set aside.
- Topping: Combine the pecans, brown sugar, and cinnamon and sprinkle over the bread dough.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to rest for 10 minutes before removing from the pan. Cool completely on a wire rack.
Equipment needed: Measuring cups and spoons, Bowls, Whisk, Electric mixer, Wooden spoon, Cooking spray, Loaf pan (9x5 in.).