Cincinnati Chili Con Carne
- 4 cups beef broth
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cups finely chopped onions
- 1 tablespoon finely minced garlic
- ¼ cup chili powder or more to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon hot red pepper or more to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups fresh or canned tomato sauce
- 2 tablepoons cider or white vinegar
- ½ ounce (one-half square) unsweetened chocolate
- Salt, to taste
- 1 pound spaghetti, cooked
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar, finely grated
- 1 15-oz. can dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 small white onion, finely diced
- Put the broth in a pot or Dutch oven and add the beef a little at a time until it separates into small pieces. Bring to the boil. Cover and let simmer 30 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan and add the onions. Cook, stirring often, until the onions are wilted and start to brown. Add the garlic, chili powder, cumin, cinnamon, allspice, cloves, hot red pepper, bay leaf and tomato sauce and bring to the boil.
- Add the tomato mixture to the meat mixture. Add the cider or vinegar and chocolate. Bring to a boil and cover. Simmer one hour. When ready to serve, skim off the fat, and serve over cooked spaghetti topped with cheese, beans and onion.