- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 cups old-fashioned oats
- ½ cup flax seed meal*
- ½ cup mini chocolate chips
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. water
- 1/3 cup white chocolate chips
- 2 tsp. butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line the baking sheet with parchment paper, leaving an overhang on the ends for easy removal. Prepare the parchment paper with cooking spray.
- To make the bars: In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, melt butter, sugar, cocoa powder, and the honey together. Stir until sugar is dissolved and mixture is smooth. Set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, stir together the oats, flax seed meal, chocolate chips, and salt. Add butter mixture to the oat mixture and stir thoroughly. Spread the mixture evenly in the pan and press down firmly.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until set. Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes; lift the bars out using the edges of the parchment. Let cool for another 15 minutes or until starting to get firm. Cut into bars and cool completely.
- To make the icing: Melt the white chocolate chips and butter in the microwave according to the package directions or in short intervals, stirring until melted. Spoon the melted chocolate into a zipper baggie. Cut off the tip of one corner. Squeeze the white chocolate onto each bar in a zigzag pattern.
*Flax seed meal (or flax seed flour) can be a substitute for oil in baked recipes when you want more nutrition and less fat. It is high in protein, fiber, and omega 3 oils. If you cannot find flax seed meal for this recipe, you may substitute it with 2 Tbsp. + 2 tsp. of oil.
Equipment needed: measuring cups and spoons, baking pan - 9x13 in., parchment paper, nonstick cooking spray, small saucepan, wooden spoon, large bowl, microwave-safe bowl, spoon, heavy duty zipper baggie.