- 12 oz. semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup light cream or half and half
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- DIPPERS*: banana slices, pineapple chunks, whole strawberries, apple slices, orange sections, kiwi, star fruit, or pear slices.
- Before melting the chocolate, prepare the fruit dippers. Wash and hull the strawberries (but leave them whole), slice the apples, peel and slice kiwis and peel and chop the pineapple. Arrange the fruit on a large platter. Squirt lemon juice on the apples and bananas to keep them from browning. Cover the platter and set it aside.
- To prepare the fondue, place chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl. Add the light cream or half and half. Microwave on HIGH for 1 minute and stir. Continue melting, stirring after every 30 seconds until the chocolate is smooth. Add the vanilla extract and stir. TIP: Cream prevents the chocolate fondue from turning lumpy.
- Transfer the chocolate sauce to a fondue pot. Use a fondue fork to spear the fruit, and then dip into the chocolate (use a toothpick or small wooden skewer dipping into a small bowl).
*Dippers should include seasonal fruit. You can also dip pretzels and graham crackers.
As an after-school snack for 2, use 1⁄2 cup chocolate chips, 1⁄4 cup light cream, and 1⁄4 tsp. vanilla extract. This will give you 1⁄2 cup of chocolate fondue to enjoy.