Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 jalapenos, finely diced
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
- 2 limes, juiced, plus wedges for garnish
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup roughly chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 (8-inch) flour tortilla, grilled, cut into thin strips
- 1 avocado, pitted, sliced
- 1 cup shredded Monterrey cheese
- In a large saucepan heat the vegetable oil. Add the onions and cook for 2 minutes.
- Once the onions have softened add the garlic and jalepenos and cook for another minute.
- Pour the chicken broth, tomatoes and beans into the pot and bring to a boil.
- Once at a boil, lower heat to simmer and add your chicken breasts. Cook the chicken for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Once chicken is cooked remove from pot.
- When cool enough to handle shred it and set it aside.
- Add lime juice and fresh cilantro to the pot.
- In a serving bowl add a mound of shredded chicken.
- Ladle soup over chicken and top with a lime wedge, grilled tortilla strips, avocado slices and cheese.