- 3 cups of water
- 3 chicken bouillon cubes
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 large potato, peeled and diced into ½ inch cubes
- ¾ cup carrots, diced into ½ inch cubes
- ¾ cup frozen peas, thawed
- 2 Tbsp. plus 2 tsp. cornstarch
- 8 oz. pre-cooked chicken, cubed
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 2/3 cup cold stick margarine ½ cup cold butter
- ¼ cup ice water
- 1 Tbsp. virgin olive oil
- Egg wash- whisk together 1 egg white
- 2 tsp. water
- To make the filling, mix water, bouillon cubes, salt, and potato in a saucepan and boil over medium heat until the potatoes just start to soften.
- Add vegetables to the pan and boil an additional 5 minutes or so, then reduce heat to simmer and very gradually stir in corn starch. Add more corn starch or water until mixture has a medium gravy texture or as you would desire for pie filling.
- Finally add meat and simmer without stirring while you make the crust.
- In a large mixing bowl, blend flour, salt, garlic powder, and onion powder.
- Dice vegetable shortening and butter to small pieces and distribute evenly in the flour. Cut in the butter and shortening until you get a flaky granular mixture. Blend in ice water until fully incorporated into the flour.
- Split the mixture into 2 sections sufficient to make a crust and covering. Flour a flat surface and roll sections until you have two crusts that will fit in your 9-inch pie plate.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease the pie dish and form the pie crust into the tin, leaving loose edges all the way around the tin. Rub the olive oil inside the entire crust as it sits in the tin.
- Recheck the consistency of the filling and adjust as necessary. Pour the filling into the pie crust, leaving enough room to add the covering.
- Lay a full covering of crust across the top of the pie. Pinch the edges where the upper and lower crust meet to form a seal all the around the pie. Once sealed, trim excess crust to edge of pie tin. Knife holes into the crust cover to relieve pressure during cooking.
- Brush with egg wash generously across entire upper crust of pie, then place in oven. Cook for 30 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.
Equipment needed: Measuring cups and spoons Bowls, Saucepan, Large spoon, Rolling pin, Pastry brush, Knife, Vegetable peeler, Pastry blender, 9-inch pie dish.