- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract (optional)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Beat white sugar and 1 cup butter together in a bowl with an electric mixer until creamy and smooth. Mix eggs, 1 tablespoon vanilla extract, and almond extract into creamed butter mixture. Stir baking powder and baking soda into butter mixture until just combined.
- Stir 1 cup flour into butter mixture until just combined. Add 2/3 cup milk into butter-flour mixture; mix well. Continue adding 1 cup flour and 2/3 cup milk, alternating until all the flour and milk are used and batter is smooth. Pour batter into the 2 prepared pans.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted in the center of each cake comes out clean, 30 to 40 minutes. Cool cakes completely before removing from pans, at least 2 hours.