(Sweet Potato Salad-kangong)
Sweet Potato leaves, Ipomoea batatas, are easy to grow and a good source of vitamin A and fiber. They are the above ground portions of an edible root crop.
Patis is a by-product of the production of bagoong, a fish paste. Some experts lump the two together under the category of fish sauce. Fish sauce is an amber-colored liquid extracted from the fermentation of fish with sea salt. .... Patis is also used in place of table salt in meals to enhance the flavor of the food.
- 2 lbs sweet potato leaves
- 2 large tomatoes, sliced thin
- 1 small round onion, sliced thin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon patis (optional)
- 1 teaspoon chopped ginger (optional)
- Pick tender leaves and stems. Rinse thoroughly.
- With some water still on the leaves, put in saucepan and heat.
- Toss leaves in hot pan to blanch evenly.
- Add remaining ingredients. Toss lightly but thoroughly.