Decorator's Buttercream Frosting
- 1/4 cup vegetable shortening
- ½ cup Butter (1 stick)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 2 Tbsp. water or milk
- Cream together shortening, butter and vanilla. Gradually add 2 cups of sugar, beating will on medium speed scraping sides and bottom of bowl often.
- Slowly add remaining 2 cups of sugar and beat well. Icing will appear dry when all the sugar is mixed in.
- Add water or milk and beat at medium speed until light and fluffy. Add additional water as needed to reach piping consistency. Keep icing covered until ready to use. Tint with food coloring as desired.