Brown Sugar Oatmeal Pancakes
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons quick-cooking oats
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
For the pancakes
- 1 cup small strawberries - washed
- 1/2 cup blueberries - washed
- 1/2 cup raspberries - washed
- 1 medium banana - cut into thin slices
For the skewers:
- In a medium bowl, beat the egg. Add in all the other ingredients and mix until well combined.
- Heat a griddle on medium heat and coat it with a bit of oil.
- The easiest way to get mini-pancakes is to fill the batter into a squeeze bottle with a narrow spout (for example, one of the plastic red ketchup bottles at diners). Squeeze out the pancake batter so they are about the 1-inch (2.5-cm) in diameter. If you don't have a squeeze bottle, you can drop the pancake batter on with a small spoon. Form about 8-10 pancakes at a time, so you give yourself enough time to be able to flip the pancakes over before they burn.
- Cook the pancakes until bubbles start forming on the surface and the bottom is a light golden brown, about 1-2 minutes. Flip and cook for another minute, until the flip side is also a light golden brown.
- Skewer the mini pancakes and the fruit onto a cocktail stick, alternating between the mini pancakes and fruit.
- Serve with maple syrup.