- 1 cup lukewarm water
- 1 envelope dry yeast or 1 Tbsp. dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons butter, margarine, or vegetable shortening
- 1 egg
- 3-3½ cups flour
- 1-2 tablespoons butter, softened
- Combine lukewarm water, yeast, sugar and salt in bowl, stirring until sugar and yeast dissolve. Test yeast by letting mixture stand for 5 minutes to see if heavy bubbles form on top. If there is no sign of bubbles, the yeast is not active, which may be due to age of the yeast or temperature of the water added.
- Add 2 Tbsp. butter, egg and 3 cups of flour, stirring until the dough is soft and sticky. Add remaining ½ cup of flour if needed for desired consistency; dry firm dough will result in tough bread.
- Let stand, covered with tea towel, in a warm place until doubled in bulk. Shape into loaf in greased 5x9 inch loaf pan or shape into rolls of choice.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes. Coat top of loaf or rolls with 1-2 tablespoons butter. Remove from pan immediately.