Basic Yellow Cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ cups white sugar
- ½ cup shortening
- 1 cup milk
- 3½ tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- Extra shortening and flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour baking pan.
- Mix together the flour, baking powder and salt. Whisk and set aside.
- In another large mixing bowl cream sugar and shortening until light and fluffy. Break eggs, one at a time, into small bowl(s). Add eggs (one at a time) into sugar mixture, beating well after each addition. Add flour mixture alternately with milk, beating just to combine. Stir in vanilla. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean.
Equipment needed: 9x13 baking pan, 2 large mixing bowls, Small bowl(s), Mixer, Measuring cups and spoons, Whisk, Rubber spatula.