Basic Chocolate Cake
- ¾ cup butter
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ¾ tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 1½ cups milk
- Cocoa powder and solid shortening for preparing pans
- Allow butter and eggs to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Grease the bottom of the pan(s). Line the bottom of the pan(s) with waxed paper. Grease entire pan and lightly dust with cocoa powder.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt until combined. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large mixing bowl, beat butter with the mixer for 30 seconds. Gradually add the sugar, beating until well combined. Scrape the sides of the bowl and beat another 2 minutes.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating after each addition. Beat in vanilla.
- Alternately add flour mixture and milk to the butter mixture, beating on low speed after each addition. Beat on high speed for an additional 20 seconds.
- Spread into prepared pan(s). Round cake pans will bake for 30-35 minutes. Oblong pan will bake 35-40 minutes. Cake is done when wooden toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool cake in pan on wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pan, peel off waxed paper, and cool completely before frosting.
Equipment needed: Measuring cups and spoons, Bowls, Whisk, Electric mixer, Spatula, 2-9 in. round cake pans or 1-13x9 in. pan, Waxed paper.