- 2 1/2 cups Rice Chex Cereal
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 3/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 package (8 oz.) cream cheese, softened
- 1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2-4 Tbsp. milk
- Decorating gels, red
- Place cereal in plastic bag and crush with a rolling pin. Mix cereal, flour, and baking powder; set aside.
- Beat butter and cream cheese in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Beat in granulated sugar until fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Beat in cereal mixture. Divide dough into thirds. Form each portion into a disk and wrap in plastic wrap. Chill 2 hours.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees. Roll dough, one third at a time, to 1/8 inch thickness on well-floured surface. Cut into circles using 3-inch round cookie cutter. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 8-10 minutes or until bottoms are lightly browned. Cool 1 minute; remove from cookie sheet. Cool completely on wire rack, about 30 minutes.
- Stir together powdered sugar and 2 Tbsp. milk with spoon until smooth. Add more milk if needed. (The icing should be a consistency that will spread easily, but is not runny.)
- Spread icing over the cookies; let dry. Decorate with decorating gel; let dry. Store in single layer in airtight container.
Equipment needed: Measuring cups and spoons Quart size plastic zipper bag Rolling pin, Plastic wrap, 2 large mixing bowls Electric mixer, Spatula, Baking sheets , 3 in. round cookie cutter.