- 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup superfine sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter or vegetable shortening
- 1/4 cup whole milk, scalded
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg, beaten
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a doughnut pan.
Sift the flours and baking powder together into a large bowl or the bowl of a mixer. Whisk in the sugar, nutmeg, and salt. Add the butter and use your fingers to rub it into the dry ingredients as you would in making a pastry crust, until evenly distributed. Add the milk, yogurt, vanilla, and egg and stir until just combined. Do not overmix or your doughnuts may be rubbery.
Use a piping bag or a spoon to fill each doughnut cup about three-quarters full, making sure the center post is clear. Bake until doughnuts are a light golden brown and spring back when touched, 6 to 10 minutes. Let cool slightly before removing from pan. Glaze as desired.