Apple Pie Baked Apples
- 3 Granny Smith apples
- 3 pink lady apples
- 1 tbsp. warm water
- 2 tsp. cornstarch
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
- 1 tsp. cinnamon, plus more for sprinkling
- 1/3 c. granulated sugar, plus more for sprinkling
- 1 pie crust
- 1 large egg beaten with 1 tbsp. milk (egg wash)
- Caramel, for drizzling
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Peel and dice one green and red apple.
- Slice off the tops and, using a melon baller, hollow out the remaining apples. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together warm water and cornstarch.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Add diced apples, lemon juice, cinnamon, and sugar. Bring to a simmer and cook until apples are tender, about 5 minutes. Add in cornstarch mixture and cook 5 minutes more.
- Place hollowed out apples in a baking dish and fill with cooked apple mixture.
- On a piece of wax paper, roll out pie dough and cut into 4 circles. Slice each circle into thin strips. Make a lattice top on each apple, trimming any excess.
- Brush crust with egg wash and sprinkle with more cinnamon sugar. Bake until apples are tender and crust is golden, 28-30 minutes.
- Drizzle with caramel and serve immediately.