Angel Food Cake
- 1 ½ cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 cup unbleached flour, sifted
- 1 ½ cups egg whites (11-12 large eggs)
- 1 ½ tsp. cream of tartar
- 2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. almond extract
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- Fresh sliced berries, optional
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine powdered sugar and flour; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, with mixer at high speed, beat egg whites, cream of tartar, vanilla, salt, and almond extract until well blended.
- Beating at high speed, gradually sprinkle in granulated sugar, 2 Tbsp. at a time. Beat just until sugar is dissolved and egg whites stand in stiff peaks. Do not scrape sides of bowl during beating.
- With rubber spatula, fold in flour mixture, about ¼ at a time, just until flour disappears.
- Pour mixture in unprepared 10’’ tube pan. With metal spatula, cut through batter to break up large air bubbles.
- Bake for 35 minutes. Remove from oven and set upside-down until cooled. Serve with fresh berries, if desired.
Equipment needed: Measuring cups and spoons, Rubber spatula, Metal knife, Medium mixing bowl, Large glass mixing bowl, Hand mixer 10” tube pan