- 1¾ lbs. baking potatoes
- 3 Tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- ¾ cup 2% milk
- 1 lb. fresh mozzarella cheese, chopped fine
- 2/3 cup chilled heavy cream
- 2 Tbsp. drained bottled horseradish
- In a large saucepan combine potatoes with salted water to cover by 2 inches and simmer until very tender, about 50 minutes. Drain potatoes. Return potatoes to pan and heat over low heat, shaking pan, until dry. Cool potatoes until they can be handled.
- Peel potatoes and force through a ricer or medium disk of a food mill into pan. (If you do not have either a ricer or food mill, grate the potatoes.) Add butter, garlic, and milk and cook mixture over moderately low heat, beating constantly with a wooden spoon, until fluffy and heated through, about 2 minutes.
- Add mozzarella and salt and pepper to taste and cook mixture, beating until cheese is melted and form long elastic strands when lifted with a spoon.
- Divide aligot among 6 buttered gratin dishes (or spoon into 1 large buttered gratin dish).
- Preheat broiler. In a bowl with an electric mixer beat cream until it holds soft peaks and beat in horseradish and salt to taste. Spread horseradish cream over aligo and broil about 4 inches from heat until golden, about 1 minute. Serve immediately.
Equipment needed: Measuring cups and spoons Large saucepan; Knife; Ricer, food mill, or grater Garlic press; Wooden spoon; Shallow gratin dishes (either 6, 1 cups dishes or 1, 6 cup dish) Electric mixer and bowl; Spoon or rubber spatula.